Friday, February 4, 2011

Inspirational Steve

Of all people, would you expect to be inspired by the CEO of Apple and Pixar Animation Studios?

Hold on. Let me clarify that persuasiveness and inspiring have a distinct difference. I trust you have the ability to figure it out without me telling you how.

It is undeniable that Steve Jobs possesses the ability to mesmerize his audience, with his speech, presentation and occasional humor. His far-sighted attribute, his capacity to judge consumers' preference for his companies' products (particularly Apple), to utilize resources effectively were what inspired me in the first place. I hope I can accomplish what he has presently someday. I vow to work smart for that.

If you, by chance or choice, have viewed this amazing long-winded video, you probably realized that he was teaching his audience somethin' 'bout life as well. Of all people, Steven Paul Jobs!

In the video, he tells three stories in retropection. The first story is about "Joining the Dots". He quotes, "You cannot join the dots looking forward, but when you look backward, it all becomes clear."

I attempted to understand this from what I believe is Steve's defination. Looking forward, you could gauge the consequences or results of an action. You could predict. Nevertheless, as you turn your head to see what happened in the past, all is clear. Hence, I'll never fear the present, and future. I am young. The journey ahead has a long way to go- provided that I live to enjoy a long, ripe age. If I savor every single scenery, every beat of my heart, every moment of my being, I will leave no regrets when it is time to go home.

Ensuing the first story is "Love and Lost". No, Steve doesn't reveal anything about the "one crazy love" during his young age- if he has one. He talks about his unceremonious, public kickout from Apple. I guess, one could say that it was his lifeline at the time. Losing it was devastating, Steve admits. "I'd been rejected, but I was still in love," Steve adds.

As the world has witnessed, he went on to create NeXT and Pixar- one of the most successful animation companies on earth. Besides, he fell in love with "a wonderful woman" who became his wife. She was no other than Laurene Powell. They have a child named Reed Paul. (Steve previously had a daughter named Lisa Brennan-Jobs from a long-ago relationship with Chrisann Brennan, a Bay Area painter.)

The third story tells listeners about "Death". Steve was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2004. The common knowledge about this fatal disease has always been- sure death. His doctor told him to ready his children about the news. Soon after, the doctor realized that the tumor could be removed through surgery. "I'm fine now," says Steve as the crowd applauded.

"No one wants to die. Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to go there." There is a tinge of humor in what Steve said, but the truth rings loud and clear.

A girl I know attempted suicide lately. To protect her privacy, I shall call her Katrina. Like the hurricane, her mood fluctuates irregularly. When her depression hits, it can be destructive. Her wrist was heavily bandaged and she told everyone who asked that it was an accident. They bought her story. I didn't. Because I dotted the lines. She could tell that I was suspicious, so she spilled it before me, hiding only some of the gory details. Nobody should ever end his/her life. There's always a choice, and turning it around depends on one simple decision, in one split second.

I wish Katrina well. Good day to everyone too.

No comments:

Post a Comment